VINCENT J. CAPONE, Jr., M.Sc.
Sonar Subject Matter Expert & Instructor – Explorer & Lecturer
M.Sc., Marine Science – Minor: Exp. Statistics
B.Sc., Marine Biology – Minor: Geology
Advanced Degree Courses, West Indies Laboratory, USVI
An expert in marine technology, Vince has over 30 years of worldwide hydrographic and underwater search and survey operations experience. He is an expert in side scan sonar search operations/sonar image analysis regularly designing and conducting training seminars for the U.S. Navy, law enforcement, fire rescue, and other agencies. Vince is recognized as a side scan sonar subject matter (SME) expert-level IV by the US Navy and US Federal Court system and has acted as an expert witness for related cases.
A few of his exploits include:
- Conducting the first high-resolution multibeam survey of the San Francisco Bay shipping channel in conjunction with NOAA.
- Assisting the US Navy and Johns Hopkins University APL in support of the MK 18 UUV program.
- Operations manager for the search and recovery of Apollo rocket motors from over 14,000 fsw.
- Supported the U.S. Navy supervisor of salvage with debris search operations for the space shuttle Columbia.
- Located the previously undiscovered German U-boat U-215 with National Geographic International’s “Sea Hunters”.
- Team member/sonar operator Batteau Below which located and surveyed America’s oldest intact warship the Lake George Radeau,
- Located submerged hazardous waste drums as sonar operator onboard the USEPA vessel Peter W. Anderson
- Assisted with location and recovery of a US Border Patrol drone from 4,000 fsw.
He is the author of over 30 military and commercial marine technology training videos including the Black Laser 2nd edition Not in the Manual Guide® to Sonar Image Interpretation with over 1000 copies are in worldwide circulation.
Vince has worked with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, NOAA, the U.S. Navy, the Irish Navy, the South Korean Navy, Montenegrin Navy, Cambodian Mine Action Centre, Golden West, the Israeli Navy as well as numerous legal and commercial entities in a wide variety of underwater investigations. He has also been a sonar instructor for the Royal Canadian Mounties, Royal Solomon Islands Police Force, numerous other federal, state, and local law enforcement/fire rescue personnel.
He has appeared on numerous TV programs and is a frequent lecturer.